Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Express - Switching the transformer

Dear all,

This is my first post here, although I have stopped by from time to time to get quality advice. I've used the search function and haven't really found an answer to the issue I'm faced with, so here goes:

I'm planning on importing a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50 guitar amp from the US (110v), however, I live in Bahrain which follows euro standards at 220v. The reason why I'm not ordering the amp from Europe is because it literally costs double the amount.

With that said, I don't want to lug around an external transformer everywhere I go so I want to switch out the 110v transformer to a 220v transformer.

I think I found the official replacement part here:
    Mercury Magnetics
    "MESA-EXP550-O Express 5:50 -- Drop-in Upgrade -- 4 & 8Ω taps"

So my question is, assuming I import the amp from the US and buy the OT transformer from mercurymagnetics, how easy is it to make the replacement?

As I mentioned, I live in Bahrain which is has no decent amp techs/dealers, so I'd like to do this myself. I'm by no means experienced with electronics beyond the basics - changing pick ups in my guitars, soldering, splicing cables/plugs, etc. However, my father is an engineer and would be assisting me, but again.. doesn't really have relevant hands on experience.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Lev,

I think you are talking about power transformer (110V -> 220V). The one from the link is an output transformer and it has nothing to do with the power supply. I suggest that you ask Mesa Boogie directly whether the amp has universal power transformer, which can be switched from 110V to 220V. In such a case you don't need to buy any transformer.

Mark

Comment

Hi Lev,

I'm in a similar situation; did you find a 220/240v power transformer for your Express 5:50?

Sean

Originally posted by Lev View Post
      Dear all,

This is my first post here, although I have stopped by from time to time to get quality advice. I've used the search function and haven't really found an answer to the issue I'm faced with, so here goes:

I'm planning on importing a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50 guitar amp from the US (110v), however, I live in Bahrain which follows euro standards at 220v. The reason why I'm not ordering the amp from Europe is because it literally costs double the amount.

With that said, I don't want to lug around an external transformer everywhere I go so I want to switch out the 110v transformer to a 220v transformer.

I think I found the official replacement part here:
      Mercury Magnetics
      "MESA-EXP550-O Express 5:50 -- Drop-in Upgrade -- 4 & 8Ω taps"

So my question is, assuming I import the amp from the US and buy the OT transformer from mercurymagnetics, how easy is it to make the replacement?

As I mentioned, I live in Bahrain which is has no decent amp techs/dealers, so I'd like to do this myself. I'm by no means experienced with electronics beyond the basics - changing pick ups in my guitars, soldering, splicing cables/plugs, etc. However, my father is an engineer and would be assisting me, but again.. doesn't really have relevant hands on experience.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X