Slightly off topic, but strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly off topic, but strange

I had a friend bring me a 90s era Kenwood integrated amp (one of the computer controlled ones) to have a look at a couple summers ago. His complaint: random garbage on the display, no response from any front panel switches. When it hit my bench thats exactly what it did. All voltages were there, it just lost its marbles. I researched it on the net and turns out it was a common problem with this model...the uP ate it and would cause the above symptoms. Owner abandons it.....

So in my thrift store travels today I find a Kenwood control amp (preamp) intended for use with a seperate pwr amp. Cleaned it up, fixed a couple things, good to go. I start thinking of something laying around in one of the many junkpiles and that lunched Kenwood amp came to mind. I figured I'd find the inputs to the pwr amp section and wire a pair of the rear inputs as direct ins to the output section. If it went as planned I could pass it along to someone in need of some home audio stuff. I haul it out of the attic (cold up there this time-a year) and pwr it up to check voltages and inject signal to the output section (without warming first....I didn't care). The display comes up, input select and vol rotary encoders respond. So....its been running on the bench for over an hour without a hiccup.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme......
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....
Working...
X