Sticker on power tubes? Harmful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticker on power tubes? Harmful?

Hey I bought a groove tubes replacement tube ( ST-6V6-C )
    and it has a sticker( label) on the outside with the brandname and such on it. Does this have to be removed? Will it cause problems with the tube? It seems like a very hard thing to do, especially if you cant touch the tube with your bare hands..its stuck on there pretty good.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry actual tube model is 6L6-R(B)
    Last edited by Sabertooth; 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM.

Tube sticker

I would have to assume , that whoever decided they needed to place a sticker on a vacuum tube glass envelope, had the sense to use a glue that could withstand the temperatures.
    I don't think it will hurt the glass.
    Who said you can't touch a vacuum tube.
    Your thinking about Halogen lamps.

Comment

I think he means on the base. Thats been std procedure for GT for a long time.
      http://www.kcanostubes.com/pictures/...ched-Pair).jpg
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

No no, the label is actually on the glass, in the place of where the logo usually is. I believe its a new labeling technique.

Yeah I'm going to assume that they used glue that would not cause any problems.

Comment

And there is no rule about touching the glass anyway. That refers to projector lamps. You can;t keave a fingerp[rint on a hot projector bulb or a follow spot bulb, because teh high temperatures will melt the glass. But tubes don;t operarte anywhere near that level of heat. Touch them all you want. Stick tape on them if you want. I always remove tape adn labels from the glass so I don't have to smell them getting hot.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok. Thank you so much!

Comment

Tube Sticker can be harmful

Sabertooth,
              Your subject line caught my eye.
              I witnessed an interesting failure caused by the Groove Tube sticker that they apply to the tube base .
              These stickers have a metalized surface.
              The failure I saw was caused by a sticker that had slid down under the tube base and the metalized surface caused a short between a couple of the pins. This occurrence is a long shot to be sure but if you work on amps long enough you see a lot of strange things. I figure that the glue was softened by the heat. Since then I have found many loose stickers on the base of groove tubes. If they come loose easily, I just take them off even though the chance of the sticker getting under the tube is slim.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

IME, paper labels stuck to the glass area turn a nice golden brown after some use.

- Scott

Comment

Working...
                X