Color coded capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color coded capacitor

Would someone please tell me how to read this capacitor? I've never seen one like it. I thought it was a resistor. All was good until the audio got distorted and *POW!* it exploded.

It goes from ground to pin 6 of each 6L6 in an old jukebox amp... Yes, pin 6, which is nothing, then a resistor over to pin 3 (Plate). I assume they are using pin 6 as a convenient solder spot?

Hi to all, I'm new to this forum
    this cap is 0,0022 mfd 1600V 10%
    scroll down linked page Capacitor decode page
    good luck

Comment

What is the box it is from? Or if the labelling is intact, the brand and amp model.

Old AMI possibly?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        What is the box it is from? Or if the labelling is intact, the brand and amp model.

Old AMI possibly?
        I'd love to know that myself!
        It has a round stamp (you can see it in the picture) that reads "Inspector A 64 A Conn" and elsewhere are the numbers 48425-3 and 95888. No other markings other than Speaker, Input, etc.

I have two more amps just like it except they are bigger, 4 6L6s and two rectifiers. They were all three removed from the top shelf in the ladies dressing room at an old high school's auditorium, still wired into what appeared to be Voice of the Theater looking set of speakers built into the walls. This smaller one must have been for monitors, I presume. I got them about 4 years ago when the auditorium went through a renovation.

--John

Comment

conn amp

I have the same amp just got on ebay....made for an conn organ...1952 connsonata i see you have no load to it and it is on...isnt this a no no?

Comment

Difficult for it to be on, the power connectors are in front of the view and are not connected to anything. Perhaps the reflections of the room lights on the tube tops?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

conn amp

i didnt know if you ran power to it fromsome where else..but it must be reflection but it does look like they are on though doesnt it...

Comment

Originally posted by jcart View Post
                i didnt know if you ran power to it fromsome where else..but it must be reflection but it does look like they are on though doesnt it...
                Nope, that's my desk light reflecting in the tubes. Cool effect, though I didn't try for it.

Sad news, the output transformer has a short to chassis.
                I powered it up with the transformer isolated on rubber bushings, and it works, but this puts the speaker outputs at more than 300 volts above ground!

So, off to storage with it until I find a transformer.

Comment

Working...
                X