Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistance reading

Can you follow the post I made above.
    Where the -16V diode was installed, one end will be attached to the 470 ohm resistor.
    The other point will be ground.
    Put your meter across the two holes where the diode was.
    You will be checking the downstream resistance of the -16V circuit.
    If it is low ohms, then you still have a problem.
    If it is high, put the new diode in, plug it in & check for -16Volts.
    Simple, huh?

Comment

Ahh somehow that seems much less complicated haha. Thank you, I will check this and reply back.

Comment

update

Hi again!

I ordered the replacement c23 and it arrived today. I installed it and the amp still isn't working. However there are a few odd changes that occurred after installing. First, the drive led is staying on at all times. Before, though it wouldn't turn off completely, it would dim almost completely. Also, plugging in through the power amp in I am getting more sound than I was before, but still heavilly distorted. Do these changes indicate anything?

Also, I ordered the 100k r71 that I have not installed yet. I wanted to do one thing at a time to not confuse things at all.

Joe

Comment

Have you tried cleaning it like I mentioned? Its less work than replacing random parts to see if they are the cause. You can try a good cloth and some Caig Deoxit, and if the gunk is on too thick for that, there is a product called Goo Gone that will remove it. If you use the Goo Gone, make sure you wipe it off thoroughly and let it dry before firing the amp up, but I've seen it fix a number of issues where the leftover wave solder residue was causing issues.

Comment

Wizard333 is right, reflow all components or at least the pots, jacks, tube sockets, said diodes & resistors (very well) and filter caps. I've even seen solder fail on those relays.

Great amps, but bad wave soldering.

Comment

Thanks guys! The amp is.......working!! For the 1st time in about 10 years. I soldered in the new 100k r71, tried it out, and still nothing. I ended up running a wire to repair(bypass?) the trace between the 470ohm resistor and c23 and while I was in there I also re-soldered a few things..inputs ect..Turned it on..and it was back working. Honestly I don't know exactly what fixed it, but I have a feeling it was a combination of the few things you guys recommended that I do.

You all were a ton of help, I really appreciate it! Now, to get it sounding good haha. I've heard of a quick/easy reverb tweak..need to swap out the master vol. pot(i think) so it isn't so touchy, and would like to find out how to bias it. Off to the search function I go haha.

Thanks again guys!
              Joe

Comment

Working...
              X