Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have damaged my Crate VFX,please help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have damaged my Crate VFX,please help..

my amp is a Crate VFX 5112,stupidly left a speaker wire unnconnected,resulted in fuse blowing.after replacing fuse,a loud hum only came from the speaker..is there a course of action i can take to repair the amp myself ,or at least learn about its problem before taking it to someone. any info,or advice is greatly appreciated

Tube Amplifier Debugging Page

The author of the above page is a smart guy and very helpful. He's designed and built more stuff than I've seen. He also frequents this message board- not that you should ask him to fix it. He's provided the basics on that page so you can get into it yourself.

You can learn more by searching here and on several other forums than you could learn in a lifetime with no help. Use the search function and you will be able to fix your amp...maybe not right away but eventually.

At a guess I'd say you damaged an output tube or transformer- running with no reflected load usually results in damage to a screen grid or arcing somewhere in the output transformer or output section. Hum might mean one of the two output tubes has failed (again, screen grid) or isn't functioning because of other damaged components.

Don't ignore the safety warnings. I have a 10 year old scar from a bad electrical burn on one finger to prove that tube amps mean business- I'm lucky it wasn't worse. Probing with one hand behind my back saved my life!

jamie

Comment

Crate V50

There is a 800milliamp fuse on the B+ going to the output transformer.
      If you are lucky, that fuse blew.
      Here is a site with all the V50 schematics.
      Index of ./crate/V50-112/
      Your local tech will need them.
      Attached Files

Comment

LOUD has a portal now

VFX5212
        https://supportloudtech.netx.net/lou...category/13017

Comment

Working...
        X