Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marshall AVT50 R58 problem

Hi all,

Very new to this forum, couple of nights ago my sons AVT50 after 5 years use emitted a puff of smoke - it wasn't in use at the time although a guitar was connected and it was of course switched on. He shut it down immediately. The 10 ohm resistor R58 is burned although not damaged and the associated C92 appears OK.

Searching around the net this seems to be a common problem and is caused by HF feedback/oscillation - presumably due to deterioration of some components.

We will replace the R58 and C92 (R58 will go to 1 watt) but I suspect this may not be the whole answer. Any advice on which other components might be involved?

Also, its obvious that R58 and C92 are only going to do anything at very high frequencies (way higher than audio) so the design must be expecting this problem, seems odd to include this circuit but not to make the components meaty enough to handle the problem?

Or am I missing something? Don't know much about this specialized type of Amp...

Geoff

hello Geoff,
    chances are that the power output IC1 TDA7293 is just bad causing your oscillation that wiped out the Zobel network (R58 & C92). Your best bet is to replace that guy along with the resistor & cap.

You can either order & replace the little breakaway board w/components (from Korg) or if you have advance solder skills, you could just order the IC & replace that. glen

Comment

Thanks Glen - I will take your advice...

I can still solder, and my son has good eyesight - between us we will manage!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
      X