Fender "The Twin" noise in channel 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender "The Twin" noise in channel 2

Hi, All. It is the first time I post a thread. I have found a lot of information in this forum and appreciate all people that share knowledge and spend their time to help .

I bought a Fender “The Twin” red knobs for twelve or fifteen years ago and it has been in the same place (music studio) all time, I never move it out. I have used it for 3 or 4 hours each Saturday afternoon; However last 6 month I did not use it. and last week when I turned on I detect a hum on channel 2 and it increase when I increase the gain. This happened only when the guitar is connected.

Characteristics:

The amp has a foot switch (two buttons) connected to change channels 1-2 and turn on/off the reverb.
    The impedance switch is set to 16 ohms (two 8 ohms speaker serial connected)
    I do not have any effects connected.
    The guitar that is connected is a 2 humbuckers Telecaster (The guitar and cable does not produce any noise when connected to another amp).
    The hum is not noticed when the standby switch is off.
    The channel 1 is clean.

Schematic is here: http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/the_twin.pdf

I put off the chassis and clean with a brush a few dirty I found in there.
    I cleaned the potentiometers with a spray.
    I revised solder points and I saw it good (brighter).
    The wiring looks good.

I replaced the tubes V1 (12Ax7) and V2 (12AX7) with news ones and cleaned sockets of all 11 tubes.
    I checked the resistors (with a digital multimeter) on board for this channel ; apparently are good.
    I did not remove any capacitor until now.

But the problem persist…….

I will thank to anybody who can help me.

Thank you.
    Last edited by tboy; 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM. Reason: removed inline image - use the link

the input jacks on those amps have multiple switching functions, whether plugged or unplugged. one or more may be causing the noise. spray some contact cleaner into each and insert-remove-reinsert a guitar cable plug several times. also, they are susceptible to damage and one may be needing replacement. if you determine one of the jacks needs replacing, i would replace all of them.

http://musicpartsguru.com/closeup.as...d=321&offset=0

Comment

Thanks Acorkos for reply.

I was busy last days, but Yesterday I returned to my Amp repairing.

I Cleaned and Checked all the input Jacks as you recommend and I could see the first Jack of channel 1 lost the inner metal ring and has its cover broken; then I connect the guitar in parallel mode in channel 2 (without using pedal switch) and I noticed a very small noise reduction but the initial failure persists so I come to check the first pre-amp (V1) again, replacing tube socket V1 and surprise of me, the high level noise disappear.

I thing the socket had a mechanical failure not detected at first sight.

Now only a very low Hum produced by the Transformer , noise that I think is normal.

And now that I have the chassis on my workbench the next step will be replace the input Jacks of channel 1 that are the most used.

Thank you again for you attention.

Comment

Working...
      X