Dummy Loads??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy Loads??!

A friend of mine has a bass cab that he ripped the HF driver out of (for some reason), and he decided he likes it better that way. Unfortunately it nuked the 20w crossover resistor over a period of time. I suggested putting an 8ohm 100W power resistor where the driver used to be as a way to get the overall impedance right. Is that sensible?

Sounds reasonable to me!
    My Geeky blog:
    MikesTechBlog.com

Building my Electric Guitar:
    BuildMyElectricGuitar.com

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Resistors don't burn from an open circuit. He probably didn't tape off the wires and they either shorted together or to something else if they fell onto the crossover pcb, speaker frame, etc.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Thanks. So it's not possible that the impedence issue of not having the horn there would cause that problem? He did not tape the wires so it's definitely not inconceivable that they might have shorted in some way.

Comment

Oh Sorry! I mis-read the original post!

What Gtr_tech said!!

It still isn't a bad idea to replace the driver with a resistor, that way the crosover network will be working into loads that it was designed to work into. But yeah. what Gtr-ech said, it probably wouldn't burn a resistor.
            My Geeky blog:
            MikesTechBlog.com

Building my Electric Guitar:
            BuildMyElectricGuitar.com

Comment

In those type of cabs, usually the crossover is only affecting the tweeter, the low end passes full range all the time. If that's the case, just remove the crossover too. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
              X