crate bv120h problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crate bv120h problem

before i start i'm by no means skilled in electronics of this nature so if you can make it simple as possible i'd appreciate it.

ok so the head had a a bad solder connection where the power cord connector goes into the circuit board so i took it apart and re-soldered the connection the amp worked before if you propped up the power cord where it goes into the amp. Now it just keeps blowing this 10 amp afe fuse on the board as soon as you turn it on. Does it matter that 2 of the smaller tubes numbers end in r-2 and the other 2 end n just r, is there placement critical cause i think i may have them mixed up?

I assume that the smaller tubes are 12ax7 or something similar, what are the numbers r-2 that you are talking about? I would guess that that is a lot number or something like that. Either way, it shouldn't matter. Are you sure the fuse is 10 amp? That seems unusually high. I would suspect that there is a short where the cord is connected. Double check your connections, it could be hooked up wrong or you could have a stray strand of wire across the terminals.

Comment

there is no bare wires present. the cord can be unplugged so where the cord plugs in it is attached to the board and has 3 little L-shaped aluminum pieces that go through the board. When i first took apart the amp i plugged it in and wiggled the cord at the back of the amp and saw it arcing right where one of the L-shaped alum. pieces went through so i took apart and saw the solder was gone from the connection and resoldered it , now it powers up without wiggling the cord but the lights that light up the tubes don't come on and has no outputs. now there is a 10a 250v afe fuse right next to where the board is that the larger tubes plug into. That fuse keeps blowing and 10a is printed on the board right where it goes, so when i put a fuse in the backlights for the tubes come on for a second than the fuse blows. thanx for replying

Comment

I would bet my lunch money that when you soldered this thing you globbed some extra solder that now touches two things together that ought not to touch. Look over the work you did closely.

There is a rule in my shop:

If you work on something and after you are done it has a new problem, YOU caused the problem with your work.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

the problem before was the amp would only come on if i wiggled the cord, now it comes on all the time and stays powered up even when that fuse blows. It seems that the fuse powers the second board that tubes plug into, could it be a bad tube? is there a way to tell if a tube is bad.

Comment

Working...
          X