AC15 has output but no sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC15 has output but no sound...

I posted about this a while back, but sort of for a different problem with the power tubes redplating. I think I've got that solved with some higher value resistors. Now when I turn it on I get output noise/hum from the speaker, but no guitar. When I touch the end of the cable there is a louder hum, like there usually would be, but it seems that whatever is coming out of the guitar isn't passing through. Any idea what the problem could be?

Originally posted by wcrankshaw View Post
    I posted about this a while back, but sort of for a different problem with the power tubes redplating. I think I've got that solved with some higher value resistors. Now when I turn it on I get output noise/hum from the speaker, but no guitar. When I touch the end of the cable there is a louder hum, like there usually would be, but it seems that whatever is coming out of the guitar isn't passing through. Any idea what the problem could be?
    Have you tried a different guitar?
    Jon Wilder
    Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
    I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
    Originally posted by JoeM
    I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

sure have, and actually I've got it now to where it's putting out sound, just very low output volume. It has new tubes, and almost all new caps in the preamp. With both volumes cranked you can hear a quiet version of heavily overdriven signal.

Comment

Originally posted by wcrankshaw View Post
        sure have, and actually I've got it now to where it's putting out sound, just very low output volume. It has new tubes, and almost all new caps in the preamp. With both volumes cranked you can hear a quiet version of heavily overdriven signal.
        Well you can always do a "pop" test. What I usually do is measure the voltage to ground on pins 1 and 2 as well as 6 and 7 on the preamp tube sockets. I'm not looking at the actual voltage so much as I'm listening for the "pop" sound it makes when I touch the meter probe to each pin. I usually start at the phase inverter tube and work my way back toward the input. The pop should get louder as you get close to the input jack. As soon as you probe a stage that doesn't produce a pop, your issue is somewhere between that stage and the one you previously checked.
        Jon Wilder
        Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
        I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
        Originally posted by JoeM
        I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

Working...
        X