Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Bassman 300 whats the b+ voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bassman 300 whats the b+ voltage?

Ok so here is what i got, a bassman 300 that a guy brought me telling me the tubes were running really hot and red plating. So I check it out bring it up on the variac and all. It sounds good and all i can see is that the filaments are glowing stronger then most but the plates dont look red. I checked the filament voltage on the amp and it was putting out what it should. Then i checked the bias and balance and they were pretty darn close but i put them a even closer to 100mv.
    Now is there a voltage doubler somewhere in this amp? Because i was measuring over 750 volts on the plates of the 6550 tubes with my analog simpson meter and couldnt find where from the transformer it was coming from.
    Also another thing when i put the 6550 tubes on my tube tester the filaments dont glow near as bright and i checked the tube testers filament voltage to the amps and the tube testers heater voltage is like .5 volts higher then the bassmans even. Oh and even if i switch the amp on standby the tube filaments glow just as strongly and stay as warm making me think it couldnt be the plates at all since i thought standby turned off the b + voltage all though i could be wrong.
    Sorry if its obvious that the 6550 tubes should never run that high a plate voltage and that’s clearly the problem, im still learning. But if so what could cause it to run to high.
    And thanks for any ones help on here.

+742 on the plate supply, and 372 on the screens. That is what the schematic calls for.

Standby kills all B+ voltages. COnsult the schematic.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Try to find out if this guy is using the right impedance of speaker cabinet with it, has the impedance switch set right, and so on.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Are you measuring those heater voltages with the tubes in? (esp. with the tube tester)
        I can't see how the filaments would glow dimmer in the tube tester with the same voltage. Background lighting?
        Like Steve said, maybe it's an issue with the loading of the amp.
        Are running it at good power into a load? Or did he say it was red plating when idling?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
        X