all humm and no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all humm and no sound

Help, i just built a 5e3 and all i get is humm and no sound. if i turn up the volume it gets louder. i get humm with or without a guitar plugged in. any ideas. please.
    Thanks
    Joe

update

Now i dont have anything. no sound at all. i checked my wiring 3 times now. i just cannot figure it out.
    Joe

Comment

Is it a kit or a complete homebrew?
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Kit, it's drivin me nut's

Comment

I really need some help, i checked all my connections reheated all my solder joints tryed 3 diffrent ground schemes and still nothing. no sound at all. i touched the input jack terminals by mistake and got a buzzing sound i thought came from the speaker but it was comming from my first 6v6 the one nearest the rectifire tube, also when it buzzed there was a blue flash inside the tube. any one have any ideas? all the voltages seem right.
          Thank you
          Joe

Comment

I would make sure the speaker works by itself, then I would explore the wiring from the output transformer to the speaker. It sounds like the speaker or its wiring might be open. That is consistent with flashing tubes. WHen tube amps do not have a speaker load, trying to play or make other sounds through it - including just hum - causes tremendous voltage spikes. That can flash your tube. Also, when no speaker is connected, you can hear things you never would otherwise: transformers and tubes can "sing." They make sounds from the signal going throught them.

It is possible something was damaged, but even so, if the speaker is wired to it right, you ought to get some sort of sound.

Start there.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok, I get the bonehead of the year award!!! The amp works great now.
              All of my jacks were wired wrong I'm not used to using switching jacks and i had the wires off the board going to the switch insted of the tip.
              Now i just have to find that neil young tone
              Thanks for your help
              Joe

Comment

Working...
              X