too much preamp gain in my ampeg v2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much preamp gain in my ampeg v2?

I have this ampeg v2 that have been giving me problems. I walked away from it for a while, but I decided to give it another go. Basically, my power tubes are driven way too hard. To the point of the grids glowing almost white on one side of the power amp. The phase inverter is putting out 70 to 100 VAC on one side, and 50 or so on the other. The 2nd DW7 half is putting out 50 vac with a normal guitar signal on the input, which I think is driving the PI crazy. I probed for AC voltage on all of the preamp stages. It looks like on average, a stage takes 4 volts or so on the grid, amplifies it to about 40, then throws most of it away before it gets to the next preamp grid. I get about 4 volts at the "from preamp" point on the schematc. The stage turns it into 50 volts, and the only place for the signal to bleed off is the 1M resistor before the PI grid. Is this normal? Does the PI want this much voltage? I'm not sure I quite understand what signal levels in the preamp should be. It would be helpful if someone could point me to a resource to learn about this. I feel like if I had another V2 or V4, I could compare the two and solve this puzzle.
Working...
X