I've been reading about using a light bulb limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
    So who here is going to buy 10,000 light bulbs to store in their attic and sell on fleabay in the year 2050?
    Hehehehe, I've been stocking up on them for awhile now. I ask the wife to pick up a pack each week when she goes grocery shopping. I have them in various wattages.

I should have done this with R12 before they banned it. I could have made a killing with that.

Oh, and you better stock up on regular leaded solder while you can too before it's banned.

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
      Some people have been using them for years
      Ahh, A Carl Barks fan?
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Wondering... If 100w bulbs are not available, or hard to find, wouldn't (example) 2x40w or say 2x60w bulbs in series work?

Comment

solid state current limiter

Originally posted by dukeofurl View Post
          Wondering... If 100w bulbs are not available, or hard to find, wouldn't (example) 2x40w or say 2x60w bulbs in series work?
          a simple resistor would do the job but they produce allot of heat you could add a full bridge rectifier were the output is crossed with a resistor and a capacitor this will allow for an in rush current to be had for starting some amps were the cap would allow the resistor to be bypassed for a short time a simple switch could be used to remove the cap when not needed but do not flip the switch while live as this part will be dc its not that complex of a circuit ill post a diagram soon

Comment

solid state current limiter

Originally posted by dukeofurl View Post
            https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-L...td+circuit.JPG this diagram is not far off replace the LED with a capacitor of some size in the range of 200-300 volts a resistor higher power the better 1kw 400-170 ohms then the ac part of the circuit has your test load in line with the power please keep in mind the DC power is gonna be higher voltage and the resistor value needs to be higher to give the same limiting factor hope this works for you

Comment

Hi Chicagio, welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to point out this thread has been dead for 6-7 years now.

But mainly to say I think you should look up "light bulb limiter". You posted a typical low voltage DC supply off a mains cap. But the limiter of which we speak is a plain old bulb wired in series with the mains. That lights up when there is a load issue, rather than blow a mains fuse. Most things we plug into a limiter have power transormers, which won't work will with DC.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Funny, my 12 year old son used my light bulb limiter to measure current draw for his science report comparing power usage of LED light bulbs to standard incandescent bulbs.

He won an award and his project is going to be displayed at a local high school and college!

So build those bulb limiters.

Comment

Working...
                X