Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Mark IIA not channel switching

Hi all,

My "new" vintage amp ( 1980 Mk IIA 60w combo with reverb, no graphic) needed a new power cord - done.
    While inside I noticed a badly burnt and somewhat cracked 100ohm filament resistor off 6L6 pin 2. Replaced.
    Since then the channel switching won't work and the relay is buzzing when activated.
    I've traced an injected signal to the last coupling cap before the relay in the lead channel (.047uf off V3B pin6 - V3A and V3B are reversed on my diagram) - and after the cap the CRO-measured signal gets shorted to ground, as per circuit design, but even in lead channel the signal continues to get shorted to ground instead of going to the lead channel master vol.
    Incidentally I've noticed my first new 100ohm resistor was an old old carbon compound type from an old radio - was trying to maintain the "vintage" status, and caused more buzzing in the relay - a new 100ohm give less buzzing but still no switching..
    When first switched, the buzzing is not so bad, but increases in volume over the next 10 - 15 seconds and then stays there.
    I can see some movement in the relay contacts when switched on/off, but difficult to tell if the contact is complete, I suppose I could remove the components after the relay and then check continuity when switched, but it's crammed pretty tightly in there..
    I get good control voltages on the coil side of relay (8V - 0v footswitch side, and 8v - 5v transformer side as indicated on c/diagram), and it seems like it's trying to switch..
    I'm about to check if there's and DC after the relay which migh be holding the contact in place, and if so would point to a dodgy de-coupling cap, esp the .003uf off V3A pin2.

What's the collective wisdom?????
    try another 100ohm?? though I can't really see how it can make all that much difference, as the coil voltages suggest the distant side of the coil is dropping to 0v when switched..
    Can the clear cover come off the relay to clean contacts?
    What else comes to mind ??

thanks for any thoughts,...
    Regs, Dave
    Attached Files

Many of 'em had that bug, the relay can't decide whether to switch on or off, so you have sort of "oszcillating" rapid switching.Lowering the 68 Ohms resistor in relay supply to 10 Ohms and the 680 to 150 in Footswitch used to fix it,if memory serves me right.
    Zouto

Comment

Thx Zouto,
      I've since changed the other 100ohm off 6L6 pin 2 so the 2 resistors are matched.
      Relay switches nicely, but now there's a hum in CLEAN mode...AArrhhh !!
      Cleaned both 6.3vac tracks both boards, and also noticed quite a few spots of DC ON the board , so it needs a mega clean.
      Worse is that the blue wire from V4 pin6/1 has had a previous acr-over - lots of melting on it's blue sheath and a burn mark on the board between 2 tracks directly beneath it.

Prev owner didn't disclose this, or any repair historu, besides filter caps replaced.

Since my clean and before I've removed all the stray little bits of DC (through buard having conductive crap on it, when switched standby ON it had an arc-over again.
      Prev though it was probably due to a 12AT7 failure, but now I'm thinking more due to crap on board and tracks shorting to each other..
      Stay tuned and ideas also welcome..
      Dave

Comment

quick update..
        the relay chatter was due to the footswitch LED dropping about 1v across relay in clean mode - raised the 680ohm series LED resistor to 900ohm - problem gone.

There is a god-awful pop when relay switched with either footswitch or front panel pull switch..

Also the 5.6k dropping resistor in the p/supply was actually a 56ohm, and so voltages to all 12ax7 were way high..
        Changed to 5.6k, all voltages closer to diagram.

Remaining problems:
        1) truly awful popping when relay switched...
        2) V1 cathode voltages 1v, not 3.5v - BUT these might be with the FETRON installed, so the 1v might be OK????

All ideas re relay really appreciated - this can't be an uncommon problem..??

Comment

Working...
        X