Washed the numbers off the knob!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washed the numbers off the knob!

Darn it! I tried to wash the crud out of some Fender amp knobs and ended up washing the numbers off.

I understand that early Fender amps used waterborne paint while newer amps use alkyd based paint.

The letters are engraved so how can I fill the letters back in with white paint? Thanks!

It's a little tricky with household items. I seem to use different stuff every time this comes up (not specifically with Fender knobs). You'll just have to find the method that works best for you. Here's how it goes...

You need to paint the inside of the engraving and then wipe the excess paint from the surface without removing it from the engraved groove. Sometimes this is easiest while the paint is still wet and sometimes it's better to let it dry and use a solvent. The trick is to use a very fine textured cloth (like a T-shirt rag) layed over a flat, smooth surface (like an artists knife) as the removal tool and very little pressure. That way you won't wipe the paint out of the groove. If you use a solvent be sure to test it on the under side of the knob first to be sure it won't dull the finish or even melt the plasic. If you have no luck with the wet method and want to try letting the paint dry first you may have to use a stronger solvent that could damage the plastic finish. I usually only use the dry method with metals. Also, if you do try the dry method use very little solvent on the cloth to avoid saturating the grooves.

The trouble with doing this is you can also reveal scratches and dents. So work carefully with as little overlap as possible.

Good luck

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

check this out, this is what i do, it might be tedious but it will work great if you do it right
      get a white deco paint marker, and fill in the number indents the best you can. obviously theres going to be paint on top, now take a sponge and get it wet with paint thinner or mineral spirits, (not to much, you dont want it to drip).
      now wipe the excess paint off with the sponge, withput pressing into the indents

Comment

I had a plate engraved once - the guy that did it used some sorta wax crayon
        which he pushed into the indents.
        On amp knobs I guess it could wear off but maybe someone that deals with artist supplies may know of some similar product that sets.
        Just thought I'd throw this into the mix !

Comment

Also, If its any help,you can buy the numbered fender design knobs on ebay. Not original but they look ok. (well they do in the pics anyway!). Theyr e not expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
            I had a plate engraved once - the guy that did it used some sorta wax crayon
            which he pushed into the indents.
            On amp knobs I guess it could wear off but maybe someone that deals with artist supplies may know of some similar product that sets.
            Just thought I'd throw this into the mix !
            It's called a "White Lacquer Stick", and is used for filling engraved letters and patterns. They come in other colors too. Hand to keep around the shop and relatively easy to find.

A white grease pencil works too.

Here's a link.....

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/ite...temCode=L51120
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks!

Since I am unfamiliar with "lacquer sticks", are these the same type product?

Oil Bar: Winsor & Newton Artists' Oilbar, Stump (1-3/4in x 6-1/2in), Titanium White from Daniel Smith Art Materials

Oil Stick: Sennelier Artists' Oil Stick, 3/4in x 5in, Titanium White from Daniel Smith Art Materials

(Note the pictures do not indicate the colors of the product.)

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                Thanks!

Since I am unfamiliar with "lacquer sticks", are these the same type product?
                I couldn't tell you, but the lacquer stick is sure cheaper.
                John R. Frondelli
                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
                X