Rectifier for Sovtek Mig 50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier for Sovtek Mig 50?

I have a Sovtek Mig 50 that's been sitting in my garage for years that I've finally decided to dust it off and try to get it working. It blows the mains fuse immediately when you turn it on. It looks like the rectifier is bad. Anyone know how I could find the right rectifier for this?

Thanks,
    panic131

Try pulling the power tubes. this is my first guess. Does it still blow the fuse? If no then pull the rectifier and sub in some diodes. You don't want to do this for long because as I understand it those amps run a high plate voltage and you can stress other components. But if the fuse doesn't blow with the diodes in place you may need a new rectifier tube. If the fuse still blows I would suspect the +V supply rail. Possibly the filter caps. The next thing after that would be that the amp is drawing excessive current due to a bias supply failure or dirty tube sockets.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Try pulling the power tubes. this is my first guess. Does it still blow the fuse? If no then pull the rectifier and sub in some diodes. You don't want to do this for long because as I understand it those amps run a high plate voltage and you can stress other components. But if the fuse doesn't blow with the diodes in place you may need a new rectifier tube. If the fuse still blows I would suspect the +V supply rail. Possibly the filter caps. The next thing after that would be that the amp is drawing excessive current due to a bias supply failure or dirty tube sockets.

Chuck
      It doesn't have a rectifier tube it has a FWB rectifier block.
      I don't think I've ever run into one with a bad rectifier block though...
      If so, I'd just use a handful of 1N4007s to make up a new discrete FWB with 2 series diodes in each leg.
      Chuck's comment about the power tubes is probably more like it... although I have had to replace a few bad power tube sockets from repeated flash overs on lug 3 to 2 of the power tube sockets in these amps.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Guys

Thanks a lot guys. I put in a few diodes in place of the rectifier and it's working now. I've still got some small issues to work out. Some of the tone pots are kind of noisy but at least it's working. Hopefully some contact cleaner will solve that.

Comment

Working...
        X