Bluesbreaker RI hum - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluesbreaker RI hum - suggestions

I have a reissue Bluesbreaker combo that has always had some pretty annoying hum / buzz issues, and I'm hoping to cut this down if at all possible. I'm just wondering if anyone has some initial suggestions of things to look at. I have a little experience building stuff, but I'm really inexperienced when it comes to troubleshooting and modifying circuits.

A few specifics: buzzing is lowest when both volume pots are at max; it kicks in more as I back off either volume control, almost switching in at about 80% on either the normal or bright channels (although the "on-switch" effect is more noticeable on the normal channel.)

The buzz increases significantly as I bring up the vib intensity, and it helps a lot to have a footswitch connected with the vib off.

I don't know exactly what year this amp is, but it doesn't have any ribbon cables in it. I was surprised at the relative sloppiness of the lead dressing; the heater wires are pretty loose and not twisted together, and things aren't really all that carefully arranged. That being said, in briefly poking around with chopsticks, I couldn't make any huge improvements in the noise level by moving stuff around, so maybe this isn't so critical?

I love the tone of this amp, but I rarely use it because it's so noisy (and it lives in a recording studio.) I just built a Weber 6A20 kit which is far, far less noisy at comparable levels. Anyway, if anyone has found specific things that help these guys out, I'd appreciate the advice.

Sounds like a grounding issue. You may need to move the gnd for the front end to a quieter location....IE off the front of the chassis if thats where it is now.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Try picking the wire that runs to pin 2 of the middle preamp tube up off the chassis. That will have a profound effect on the hum there.
      Jon Wilder
      Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
      I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
      Originally posted by JoeM
      I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

Are your input jacks grounding out properly?

Comment

Working...
        X