67 bassman tranny loud on standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 bassman tranny loud on standby

I scored a 67 bf bassman head (ab165) at a garage sale. Its all there sans 1 tube shield. Pulled the tubes pluged it in when I switched it to standby the tranny made a loud noise flip it back everthing is fine. Should I be concerned? Without load A+ is 490

Probably the filter caps are bad and drawing too much current.

Comment

Thanks I'll dig into it and test and replace those.

Comment

While you're in there, replace ALL the brown paper electrolytics - the filter caps under the doghouse, the bias cap (go for a 100V type instead of the 50) and the preamp cathode caps (you can use two single 22µ/25V instead of the duals).
        Also look for loose transformer bolts (which can add to the hum).

Comment

Are you saying the hum is there when the switch is in standby or when it is "on" or "play"?

Comment

at first I thought it wa when it was on standby but now I know its when its on play
            The loud tranny noise is gone
            So far
            replaced filter caps with stuff on hand (I'll order Atoms Later)
            electrolytics in preamp
            Tightened up tranny It was real loose
            stuck tubes in it sounded bad
            one power tube was glowing red
            looks like I need to work on the bias supply
            planing on converting to a 64bf
            Last edited by pauluxy valley; 05-03-2010, 02:48 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

You say one tube is redplating,you are aware that this amp has a bias balance and not a bias adjust control?Did you only change the preamp electros?If so,I would be more concerned with the main filters,all of them should be changed because of their age,but you will get a quieter improvement with fresh main and screen caps,but as Albert already stated,all electros should be changed.

Comment

All the main filter caps are replaced the only electro that has not been replaced is the bias filter didn't have one on hand that would work for that the tube that was redplating was the fixed bias tube I'm going to convert it to ajustable biasand replace all the resistors they looked kinda cooked.

Comment

They are both "fixed bias tubes".The pot "balances" the bias so you dont have to use matched output tubes.If only one tube is redplating,it can likely be solved by tweaking this knob and balncing the bias so both tubes draw the same current.I am assuming you have too little bias voltage on the tube that is redplating.

Comment

Well fellas its sounding good now but I have one more question this thing was sitting in a storage shed for over 10 years the tolex cleaned up fairly well but all the hardware is rusty and pitted. Should I buy replacement hardware or just leave the original in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X