Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old JTM45 power txfr 2 x 6.3vAC windings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old JTM45 power txfr 2 x 6.3vAC windings?

I have here a very old Tremelo JTM45, to which I am fitting an equally old RS laydown power transformer. I have all the txfr windings ID'd. In addition to the 5v rectifier heater supply, it has two sets of centre-tapped 6.3v windings. Both are of equal-weight wires, using single-core lacquered wires for the AC and multicore for the CT. One set has blue insulation, the other green. One set for the preamp and one for the power tubes I guess. The equal-weight wires lead me to guess they are interchangeable and of equal power rating... unless you know different? Any ideas?

...or phase them up and connect them in parallel? Anyone know what Marshall used to do with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex R View Post
      it has two sets of centre-tapped 6.3v windings. ... One set has blue insulation, the other green. ... Any ideas?
      Hi Alex

Are you sure it was from a JTM45 originally? Have you fired it up yet and measured the VAC across the secondaries?

I think the blue leads could possibly be a separate bias winding, and the PT could've been originally from a 200Wer

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/200w.gif
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hiya, and thanks for the response, but yes I have measured the output across both sets of windings and it is 6.3vAC (well 6.6vAC but you know what I mean). It's definitely a JTM45 tranny, an RS. It came with an RS deluxe OT I've already fitted. Way too small to be off a 200W anyhow. I note that MM produce a couple of JTM45 RS clones with dual filament windings, 2.5A each, looks about right for the wire sizes I'm looking at, but I can't find out how they were hooked up in the JTM. I'm guessing in parallel, but there's no coding to help you phase them as I might have expected (it's ok I can scope them instead).

I guess these RS jobs were all-purpose transformers and the split was so you could run the old Brit 6.3v rectifiers like the EZ81 on a separate winding.

Comment

hi,

you might try asking Brian at Marstran. He's reverse-engineered Marshall transformers and might know something, although I don't know if he has reverse-engineered that one specifically.

Marstran.com • Index page

Comment

one for the power tubes,
            the other feeds the preamp

Comment

Thanks! Can I ask if that's an absolute certainty...? I want to get this one right.

Comment

Working...
              X