6L6WGB sub for 6L6GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6L6WGB sub for 6L6GC

Anyone see an issue with subbing Sylvania 6L6WGB's in a Fender PA135. Schematic calls for 6L6GC. They draw around 23ma at 495V plate. Thanks, Rod

The 6L6WGB is rated for only 360 plate volts and 270 screen volts with a 19 watt max.The amp you want to use them in will subject them to much more than that.A 6L6GC is rated for 500 plate and screen v's and 30 watt max.The Sylvanias are pretty tough,and those ratings are pretty conservative,so they may hold up,but then again,they may not.I wouldnt chance it.

Comment

Like Stokes said, basically it has specs. of 5881.
      That being said, the JAN/Philips WGB is apparently a different animal, more like a GC in a small bottle. I have been running JAN WGB's in an Ampeg V4 with 545 plate volts for years with no problems.
      So I would say no to Sylvanias, yes to JAN/Philips.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yep, Philips ECG 6L6WGB's used a 7581A structure in a compact bulb, they are basically Sylvania STR387's. Ditto for 6BG6GA's: same 7581A assy in a different bulb.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot to mention that these sylvania branded 6L6WGB are JAN tubes. Black base/green lettering. Tough little short bottles. I assume that they are up to the job,eh?

Comment

Check the plate structure, manufacturing codes, etc. If they are "old style" 5881's, I'd be worried about using them in the amp you mention; if they are "new style" 7581A's, no problemo.

Comment

Working...
            X