Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue buzz/crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue buzz/crackle

Well I suppose this is my first post, so hello!
    I've been playing through a Marshall JCM2000, but I just picked up a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue on a crack-head memorial day sale from Guitar Center, because it is a bit smaller and suits my needs better...
    I've been really happy with the tone, but now I'm noticing a horrible buzz, mostly at lower frequencies. ...actually, it's worse than a buzz, it more of a crackling, it makes me want to kick the amp over.
    It is MUCH more noticeable on the clean channel...and not just because it's clean, it actually is worse....
    I've also noticed that it doesn't start until the amp heats up a bit. If you flip it on and start playing, it's perfect, but after a couple minutes it starts up and is horrible.
    This particular amp was a demo, so I'm thinking maybe the tubes have been abused for the past year and they're bad... I ordered some new JJ tubes, and I'm hoping this solves the problem...
    Having said that, does anyone have any other ideas?
    Thanks so much!!
    -willy-

Crackling is very often tubes or plate resistors (not always, though).
    So ordering a set of new tubes could be it. You could also a try a patch cord in the effects loop (sometimes the jacks just collect dirt and start working intermittently).
    Get back when you installed the new tubes.
    And BTW welcome to the forum.

Comment

It was a demo, but was it otherwise new? Showroom demo units still carry the manufacturer's warranty.

Prime suspects are bad power tube, or cracked solder on the power tube sockets.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        It was a demo, but was it otherwise new? Showroom demo units still carry the manufacturer's warranty.

Prime suspects are bad power tube, or cracked solder on the power tube sockets.
        That is correct... I am going to take it to a fender service center or whatever if the new tubes don't work out...

I did remove the pre-tubes again today and put them back in... for whatever reason, now it seems to be holding up OK...maybe not 100% perfect. I did that yesterday too, though, so I'm not sure what changed.
        Also, I tapped around on them a bit... the pre farthest from the power tube (V1 I think?) makes a pretty awful noise every once in a while, so my guess is that it is the culprit. ...you do have to give it a pretty decent tap though...

I took the back off, I couldn't find anything that looked out of place to my eye (but that is not necessarily saying much...)

Also, do I need to look into upgrading these plate load resistors?? ...seems like I hear about them failing a lot...

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txstrat View Post
          You could also a try a patch cord in the effects loop (sometimes the jacks just collect dirt and start working intermittently).
          ...could you possibly elaborate on this a bit? ...I'm not very good at this stuff...

Comment

The signal path through your amp goes through the preamp, and winds up at the FX send jack. There, internal contacts on that jack pass the signal along to the FX return jack. And from there, on through the powr amp and out the speaker.

If those internal contacts on the FX loop jacks get dirty or oxidized or whatever, then they cannot pass the signal along. By connecting a spare guitar cord from FX send to FX return, we effectively bypass those internal contacts with the cord.

If that restores the sound, we know we have a jack problem. If it does nothing, then we move along to other possibilities.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              The signal path through your amp goes through the preamp, and winds up at the FX send jack. There, internal contacts on that jack pass the signal along to the FX return jack. And from there, on through the powr amp and out the speaker.

If those internal contacts on the FX loop jacks get dirty or oxidized or whatever, then they cannot pass the signal along. By connecting a spare guitar cord from FX send to FX return, we effectively bypass those internal contacts with the cord.

If that restores the sound, we know we have a jack problem. If it does nothing, then we move along to other possibilities.
              gotcha, I will give that a try....

Comment

I just popped the new tubes in and they seem to have done the trick... no crackling and they sound a bit cleaner. Hopefully it will stay like that!

Thank you everyone for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X