1965 Deluxe - static (occasional)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Deluxe - static (occasional)

I've got a 65 Deluxe, has new filter caps and new cathode bypass caps/bias cap, new speaker, otherwise completely untouched. It is quiet and sounds good. However, when playing loud (6-7 volume), every now and then if I hit a note that paticularly resonates (and thus - I assume - vibrates the cab more...), instead of sustain I get a burst of static. If I play the same note again quietly, no static. Or, sometimes if I play it again loud, nothing. It's very intermittent. What should I suspect here? Cold solder joint somewhere? Failing plate resistor? ??? Tubes are all new, sockets are tight and recently cleaned. I've gone through with a chopstick tapping and banging on everything - wires, resistors, caps etc. - and can not duplicate it at will.

Help! To be a bit more specific, it is ONLY the 10th fret on the G string. When I first turn on the amp and within the first 5 minutes or so, if I whack that note hard and bend it w/ heavy vibrato, it kind of sputters out into static. I can do that a few times, then if I play some heavy chords for about a minute and go back to it, it's just fine and it doesn;t do it again for the duration of the playing session - up to an hour or two. This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen!!! Can anyone suggest anything? I have chopsticked this thing to death and measured just about everything!!!

Comment

Plate resistors fixed a similar but worse issue on my Vibrolux reverb. I always use 2W Metal Film because of the heat. You may want to test with another speaker cabinet if you have one available to see if it is vibration related. If you have a cracked or otherwise iffy solder joint hitting a note at the resonant frequency of the cabinet can vibrate it open. The chopstick approach works well too. Fire it up and poke around and see if you can create static.

Comment

I had a similar symptom on a Princeton Reverb and it turned out to be bits of dust/fuzz in the reverb pan where the springs attach. Does your problem occur if the reverb is turned all the way down?

Comment

I thought about plate resistors, but don't they typically cause more problems as the amp heats up, rather than the other way around? I guess I'll have to keep chopsticking as I don't want to start replacing things at random. BTW, no reverb pan to check: it's a non-reverb Deluxe.

Comment

Check for any loose pots, jacks, any broken/tenuous ground connections.

Comment

Look close at the feedback resistor, look at solder joints on the tube sox, tap on the tubes, power & rectifier as well, they'll get some intermitants & cause noise. Keep bangin on things & you'll probably find iy.

Comment

I'd replace the screen resistors and check the grid resistors to see if they match each other no matter what. But I would bet it's a bad solder joint. You should suck (solder sucking tool) all the old solder out the old tag board connection, remove the part and scrap the leads so the new solder flows. Using flux is recommended.... my 4 cents (inflation)

Comment

Working...
                X