SVT 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT 1000

This amp came in w/ a blown circuit breaker. I replaced it and it seemed fine. Owner brought it back. The amp was then shutting down after 5-10 minutes of playing. Power light stayed on but domething would make a popping noise and then there'd be no sound coming out.

I disconnected the preamp chassis from the power amp chassis and plugged my guitar in the power amp in. The amp was not shutting down during this test. I then reconnected everything out of the cabinet on my bench and noticed the fan frame was cracked - allowing the blades to spin off-center and not allowing the fan to spin. I fixed the crack w/ some super glue and the fan works as well as the amp. It's been on for 1/2 hour now w/ no issues. Could it be that the thing was getting just hot enough w/o a fan that it would shut down? Seems extreme but maybe someone has experienced this?

Perfectly reasonable, after all, that is why they put fans in them.

Plug the amp into a metered outlet and see if the thing draws increasing current as it warms up. Just to be sure.

If the fan had been held and unable to turn, I think I might have replaced it. WHo knows how hot the stalled fan might have made itself.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok thanks Enzo. I forgot to mention that I had metered the wall current and wasn't getting much of a reading and it didn't seem to be rising at all. I cannot get the amp to act up now, even when I stall the fan w/ a chopstick..?? Now I'm worried it'll just start happening again if I give it back to the owner.

Comment

If the fan stops, it won;t instantly overheat.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X