No announcement yet.

Princeton Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A real long shot... but have you replaced the reverb pot yet?? It could be that it is not grounded well internally.
    It still sounds more like a bad filter cap or ground loop ground issue so, I would try a grounded 22uF-500v cap right at the feed point of the reverb OT.... the Hi-V B+ side, not the tube side.
    Make sure the ground of the cap is either right at the same place the Hi-V red/yellow center tap is grounded or the same place the circuitry of the reverb section is grounded at the brass plate.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

What Bruce says: a 22uF/450V cap across the one at the reverb transformer/screen supply. If that cap has gone senile, you might very well get hum in the 'verb circuit. Even though same node supplies the power tube screens, that ripple might be getting nulled out.
      -Erik
      Euthymia Electronics
      Alameda, CA USA
      Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

Bruce - IT WORKED !

I had to use a 47uf but that killed the hum !

The 47uf isnt going to cause any problems vs a 22uf ?

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
          Bruce - IT WORKED !

I had to use a 47uf but that killed the hum !

The 47uf isnt going to cause any problems vs a 22uf ?
          Not problems, but it may change the sound and touch response of the amp.

47uF will stiffen up the screen supply and everything downstream a little. If it's your amp, you could leave it in and see if you like the effect.

If it's a friend's or client's amp, I'd get a 22uF.
          -Erik
          Euthymia Electronics
          Alameda, CA USA
          Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

Working...
          X