• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender sidekick 65 bass amp recurring problem

Hi all
    I have a fender bass amp sidekick 65 that had blown output transistors
    sd1046e and were replaced with nte36 transistors
    worked great for a while and now it looks as if at least one has blown again showing dc at speaker
    what would cause the same output transistor to blow again?
    what replacement transistor would be better than the nte36
    to replace the original sd1046e that came with the amp?
    thanks for any feedback to my questions that you might have
    Regards
    robgrif

After looking at the data sheets on both, the NTE36 looks more robust. You must have missed some other bad components. Recheck all other transistors, diodes and small value resistors. How long did the amp work after replacing the outputs, seconds....days ?

Comment

Or...you have a voice coil bottoming out. Also high frequency oscillation could cause it. I have never been a fan of NTE subs. It's always best to use the correct parts IMHO.

Comment

the amp functioned in total actual usage time about five to six hours of moderate use spanning about one month of time
        i will check all components again to be sure
        thanks for the suggestion
        Regards
        robgrif

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          Or...you have a voice coil bottoming out. Also high frequency oscillation could cause it. I have never been a fan of NTE subs. It's always best to use the correct parts IMHO.
          hi olddawg
          the speaker is crisp and clear and the were no other symptoms noticeably present
          when the amp failed and upon inspection every part that was originally replaced
          previously is once again damaged perhaps there is some other problem causing the output failure that was not corrected in the circuit in previous repair
          I agree original is better but in this case the original has been discontinued
          that is why I was looking for a non NTE sub which would do the job for me
          a transistor with same or better specs than NTE 38 original 2sd1046e, NTE 374 original 2sb631e , NTE 373 original 2sd600e
          also I believe that the non NTE parts are a little less expensive
          thanks for your help
          regards
          robgrif

Comment

Working...
          X