A fake guitar for your test bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fake guitar for your test bench

For those of you who need to send in a guitar signal but don't always want to be strumming the shop guitar when you need to be looking at the scope.

I posted a circuit at my web site (Geofex) for a test oscillator I call the Fake Guitar Oscillator. It's a simple fixed frequency tone generator which can be switched to generate a repetitive series of decaying ring signals, much like plucking a single string and letting it fade away. The link is on the intro page.

It is a Twin T oscillator, which can be set for either continuous operation or a variable fade-out time. It includes a "plucker" which will disturb the Twin T resonator every so often and trigger a ring. The interval between plucks is variable between about 10 times per second and once every two seconds. Notes can be set for banjo-like fade out all the way up to continuous oscillation.

There is a switch to set it to just send out a sine wave all the time. Frequency is fixed by the components, but you bench hackers could change that. Right now it's somewhat under 1kHz. The switch selects plucked or continuous sine out.

Output level is a max of about +/-600mV peak, with a volume control to run that down to zero.

Notice that you *will not* like the sound of this thing hitting the same tone and decaying over and over any more than you like a sine wave droning through speakers.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Aww man... Now I NEVER have to play my guitar

As it is I play as much in a month as I use to play in a day (back when I was a player instead of an amp builder).

Great tool. I don't actually use my guitar as the signal generator all that much, but when I have needed to I do notice my human failing of limited appendages

Chuck

PS smiles suck on the new skin.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

yeah well, when I pick up a guitar and play, you *will not* like the sound either, even through a working amp.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Shoot, there are a lot guitar players in modern bands these days that probably don't play as well as this gadget.

Will it do teh brutalz, R. G.?
        Stop by my web page!

Comment

Working...
        X