Fender pro 185 help needed - trouble with r175 & r176

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender pro 185 help needed - trouble with r175 & r176

I'm having trouble trying to repair a Fender Pro 185 for a friend. The filter caps had dried up and the 2 resistors R175 & R176 the 2-270 ohm 7watt had been charred. I replaced the caps and put in 2-270ohm 10 watters and the amp sounds terrific but the resistors start smoking after 10 mins with around 90v+ and 90v- on the front legs where there is supposed 50+ and 50-. Upon further inspection of the schematic it appears that someone had labeled the PT secondaries and the their terminals on the pc board as 1, 2 & 3 but had the red/white wire which the schematic indicates as cp11 at cp12. Thinking this may have been my problem with too much voltage on the front end of the 2 270 ohm dropping resistors I put the red/white wire back where the schematic indicated and right away the mains fuse and thermistor blew. I replaced them and now when I fire up the amp there is a super loud hum and the thermistor is heating up so fast its sure to blow a fuse again. When I check the secondary voltages I get 48vac(white) 17 vac(red/white) 14.5vac(white) Could it be that the red/white wire was wrong from the factory? It appears I have shorted out something when I switched the wires. That's what I get for trusting my eyes just following the schematic without checking secondary voltages first. Help! Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited by jasonguitar; 06-28-2010, 07:33 PM. Reason: I have more info now.

Let's have the one active thread and let the others drop.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Wanted to drop it but couldn't figure out how. Newbie

Comment

Oh, no one is upset or anything, we are glad you are here. But you did kinda spam the board, so to speak. Just pick one, and the others will fade down the list.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X