Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with intermittent reverb diagnosis: '65 drri?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mango Moon View Post
    the reverb pan does indeed 'crash' audibly when tapped or jarred, regardless of volume setting
    OK. I'm confused, now. Earlier, you said it did not crash when you tapped it. That's why I was insisting that it was a return problem.

Comment

Nope, this was the degree of clarification that I needed from you (or someone), so no reinforcements are required, at least not yet! But thank you for following-up. I appreciate it.

I'll try to conduct this (transformer) testing later today sometime, but whether the transformer checks-out or not, I think it'll probably be time to close this thread and call it a wrap. The fact is, there are some inexpensive reverb pedals out there (RV-7, etc.) that sound as good or better than the on-board (tube-driven) reverb in this reissue amp, and that makes the cost of taking it to a trained tech solely for reverb repairs somewhat nonsensical.
      "I am not the same having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."

Maryanne Radmacher Hershey

Comment

Hello All,

Well, its been quite some time already since I first initiated this thread, and there are a variety of reasons for that, but in the interests of all concerned, I wanted to re-post here and effectively close-out this thread by saying that the reverb issue on this DRRI was finally solved.

With help from those who responded here as well as an extensive amount of off-line (PM) assistance provided by 52Bill (above), including complete analyses of multiple Send and Return side compoenents, I was eventually able to narrow it down (with a high degree of likelihood) to a faulty reverb transformer. All tubes, sockets, wires, resistors, capacitors, reverb cables and reverb pan were slowly eliminated as the cause, so I ordered a $15 replacement tranny (just on a hunch), and boom, that was the source of the problem.

So, I thanks to all who contributed here and an especially warm shout-out to 52Bill. My old '65 DRRI is back with a blue streak!

Mahalos and muchas gracias!
        "I am not the same having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."

Maryanne Radmacher Hershey

Comment

Working...
        X