Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp Tripping Circuit Breaker in Practice Studio (but nowhere else!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The facts of life are the facts of life, I don't take them personally...unlike your frankly arrogant quips. Grow up.

I had my answer long ago, you have provided nothing but an ad for a Kill O Watt. Nothing is fixed, nothing has changed...yet you feel this is a reason to be smug.

Whilst you're on top of the world go to CERN & fix the large hadron collider, they could use a brain like yours obviously.

Comment

Two fingers shaped into a "V" - going up and down slowly.......................

Comment

What you do with your butthole, in the interests of SCIENCE no doubt, is entirely up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post

In the UK we have fused AC plugs, my amp with a 200W PT blows anything smaller than a 13A mains fuse.
          That's interesting, I've accidentally used this amp with a 5A-fused kettle lead in the past and it worked fine.

Enzo - thanks for your input - what kind of resistance might we expect to see between that earth pin and the live/neutral pins?

Comment

Just a thought while I pick myself off the floor

Are you sure it's not an earth leakage circuit breaker that's tripping?

Comment

http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/sc_120_pt.jpg

Does this schematic suggest that the neutral terminal is grounded? It certainly isn't reflected in the schematic.

Also, I picked up a socket tester! Thanks for the advice - these definitely look like they'll be useful for when we're using dodgy-looking power sockets abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Puppet View Post
                Just a thought while I pick myself off the floor

Yes I think it was this. I appear to have earthed the neutral. Not good.

Comment

@ MWJB and gbono:
                  Guys, is the name calling really necessary? Or could it profitably be moved to alt.guitar.stuff.and.whatever or some other forum? I'm sure both of you are expressing the technical stuff as you see it, and have opinions. But every opinion is valid to the owner of the opinion. Mother Nature doesn't care what opinion you have though.

We used to have two sayings that I remember clearly. One is "you can't BS electrons", the other is "Mother Nature waits for you at the end of the assembly line." You can say whatever you like, but real physical laws are what happens, no matter what you put in the fancy color charts and images you pitched to the boss.

@ Sock Puppet, so said:
                  Oh, sure, make the simple, clever observation.

Leakage too small to give a tingle will trip a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI as we say here in the states) and other amps won't cause it. High current's not needed.

I have a similar problem in my house. Electrical code updates require what are called Arc-Fault Interruptor breakers. These things sense the electrical hissing noise in the power lines of an arc and decide that an arc might start a fire, then open. Not a bad idea at all, really, since it's the arcs that make the heat to start a fire, even at currents that won't trip the overcurrent level. But they can be too sensitive. Mine are. Leads to mysterious trips, where I say things like "Gee, why's that not turning on? It never did that before."
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

This is all very interesting stuff and it's making me realise how little I know about mains electrics in the home.

Thank you everyone for all your assistance and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X