Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help me fix my Marshall G30R CD (similar to MG series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help me fix my Marshall G30R CD (similar to MG series)

I pulled this amp out of a closet to give it to my 10 year old nephew who just bought his first guitar. He was very excited to have a Marshall amp. Only problem is he was really let down when we plugged it in and there was no sound.

I have a little experience with guitar and amp electronics but I havent had to fix anything in a few years and Im a little rusty.

Ok here is whats wrong...

No sound on either channel, if I crank it up and play through it I can hear my signal coming through just BARELY. It is there but its extremely quiet. It also sounds like its drenched in reverb. Could it be a problem with the spring reverb? I opened it up and there are no obvious bad connections, heat damage, etc...

This amp worked last time I tried it, then I put it in a closet for 2 years and now there is no sound, any Ideas? Im not afraid to go at it with a soldering iron if I have too. Can I just bypass the reverb tank if thats the problem.

Thanks for any help, If I can get this thing working it will make a little boy very happy.

There's a headphone jack right? Try plugging/unplugging a cable into that jack repeatedly. Pwr up....any better now? My guess is that jack has become unable to pass the spkr ground connection due to sitting around/dirt/oxidation.

If that trick improved the situation, turn the amp upside down and spray some contact cleaner into that jack. Then do the plug/unplug thing all over again. That should take care of it as long as the jack's contacts have maintained their springy-ness and are able to make the normally closed connection. The solder connections could be cracked as well, but if the headphone jack was never/rarely used I doubt thats the issue.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

The reverb is not the problem.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X