Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Renown cap upgrade question for Enzo

Hey Enzo,
    Man, I have to ask you this as I know you used to do the peavey repairs.

I bought an old Peavey Renown 2x12 combo made in 1981 off Ebay and as soon as it gets here I plan on putting in new filter caps on the power supply side to bring it up to more reliable playing since these caps are now 26 years old.
    Can you suggest anything I might want to consider looking into this amp while replacing the filter caps? Anything you normally see as problems in these older SS amps from Peavey?

You might remember this particular amp, it was the design that was SS but used a OT to the speakers to mimic a tube amp tone. It seemed I used to like this particular amp back in the 80's but I'll see if I still dig the tone? LOL....

Thanks
    SLO

Can't help with the caps but I'm 99.9% sure there is no OT in the Renown. It was my first decent amp, I had an '82. I had to replace power transistors occasionally.

Comment

The Renown had an output transformer, while the Renown 400, and the later Renown 112 and Renown 212 did not. You could remove the transformer easily enough and run without it if you wanted.

You know, those caps may be 26 years old, but they may still have years left in them. They are not confined with some screaming hot tubes, nor are they running 500 volts. These caps tend to last a very long time. On the other hand, there are only a few of them, so it won't break the bank. I would wait and see how the amp sounded first.

PV makes reliable, rugged amps, and there is nothing about them I'd expect to need service that I wouldn't expect to see in ANY amp that age. I'd flip the board over and look at the solder under each and every pot along the front. I'd check the solder under anything of size - the filter caps, any cement power resistors, especially the long 10 watt ones. Make sure the jack and pot nuts are tight. ANd any of those larger things deserve a glob of silicone sealer or some hot melt to keep them from vibrating and breaking free.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X