Software based function generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software based function generator

I'm looking for a good software based signal generator - free shareware would be great.

Not really sure, but I don't know if your computer can provide enough current for some signal generator chores. I know electronics gear can be cumbersom and not nearly as eloquent as some of the electronics tools software programs but IMHE for tube amp projects bench gear is often put to tasks that computer I/O's just aren't up to.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

100-200mV is usually more than enough for most solidstae amps........

Comment

SigJenny. Here's the link -

SigJenny - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
        Jon Wilder
        Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
        I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
        Originally posted by JoeM
        I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Not really sure, but I don't know if your computer can provide enough current for some signal generator chores. I know electronics gear can be cumbersom and not nearly as eloquent as some of the electronics tools software programs but IMHE for tube amp projects bench gear is often put to tasks that computer I/O's just aren't up to.

Chuck
          Then run it through an amplifier. I have an old tube HP signal generator that I sware could sweep voice coils by itself. But this program, a computer, and a small amp would do the same thing.

Comment

I have tried literally dozens of these over the years. None of the free ones did everything I needed. This is the best one I've found. Test Tone Generator
            It's shareware, but was only around $25 when I bought it. It has the cleanest output, most flexible configuration, and stores presets of your most used setups. I use it every day and recommend it highly.

Comment

How are the square waves on these? I tried some stuff through SoundForge (it has a function generator) and the output looked like maybe 5 odd order harmonics added, not very square at all when viewed on a scope.
              -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                How are the square waves on these? I tried some stuff through SoundForge (it has a function generator) and the output looked like maybe 5 odd order harmonics added, not very square at all when viewed on a scope.
                The one I linked to is pretty good. The quality is primarily determined by the capabilities of your sound card. There are some audible artifacts when using squares and sweeping them, but I saved the output as a wave file (another handy feature of TTG) and looked at it in sound forge. It was very square and the transitions were exactly 1 sample wide, so again if you can run at a faster samplerate and higher resolution, you'll get better results. I don't use squares very often, but I can tell you that the sine wave distortion is VERY low with a pro sound card. Some of the other generators left me wondering if the speaker I was sweeping was bad, or was it just the crappy generator.
                Last edited by bkahuna; 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X