DSL401 resistor value concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL401 resistor value concern

Yesterday I read through a post http://music-electronics-forum.com/t17460/#post174378 and was able to locate a fault and repair my Marshall DSL401.

Thanks to all the contributors of these forums (like Enzo & OC Disorder) for your guidance to the many of us with less skills.

The fault was in the PI stage, the plate resistor R110 (82K) was open. I replaced this with what I had which is a 75K 1/2 watt. Do you think this is OK to leave like that or do you think this unbalances the PI too much or causes too much current and stress to other components?
    If these are 10% tolerance resistors I would be just inside that range but I don't want to create another problem.

I am not much worried about some imbalance of the signals to the power stage as it probably can never be balanced and likely is a bit better sounding with some assymetry. However, if this mod sends a large imbalance that could wreck the PO tubes then I would want to correct it.

What do you think?

You can leave it as is. Not a critical value....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I am no expert but I think that I would try to find a resistor as close to the original value as possible.

Comment

Yes, of course you should, but parts have tolerances - allowable amounts of variation - and the 75k substitute for the 82k resistor is only off by 8 and a half percent. Certainly many amps are built with 10% resistors as it is, and plenty of old Fenders were made with 20% parts. An 82k 20% resistor could measure as low as 66k and be within tolerance. An 82k 10% part could be as low as 74k.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X