Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Scorpion speaker question for Enzo

Hey Enzo,
    I got that Renown today and it sounds good for a 26 year old amp but I did find one problem.
    The scorpion speakers were buzzing horribly and I found that the round accordian type material that is glued to the metal base behind the magnet has come unglued. Have you ever ran across a problem like this?

I have used a bit of rubber cement on a dust cap fix once years ago but never had to reglue the accordian material that is at the base of the speaker.

Heck I have never seen these come unglued before and hopefully can reglue it back without having to order some new scorpion baskets

Thanks

Slobrain

That part is called the spider,it holds your voice coil and cone together,and must be placed just right to keep your VC from rubbing.You could try to glue it back but if the VC is not lined up it will rub,its worth a shot,if you dont want to go thru the expense of having it done at a shop,but I dont think rubber cement is strong enough to hold it.I think Peavey sells replacement baskets that just need to be bolted to the magnet structure.You can see them on their website.

Comment

Hey Stokes,
      I was thinking about using one wrap of masking tape around the outer side of the voice coil, then reinstalling the magnet, Its a bolt on magnet. that way the voice coil should be centered, in theory anyway.
      Then spot super glue the spider in place and then using super glue, run a bead all the way around the spider to get it glued back.
      I'm hoping super glue will do the trick as I don't know of a better bonding glue unless gorilla glue is better. Maybe Enzo can give better pointers on this as he has seen some really crazy broken stuff over the years.

If the super glue works I can laugh this one off as a super glue amp repair. LOL.....

Years ago I had an intermittent Scorpion speaker and traced it to a bad solder joint on the voice coil, carefully I resoldered the bad joint and fixed that speaker, did the same thing on a another PV speaker but on the front where the speaker connector wire connects to the fine wire. I was really lucky on that repair and the guy that owns that amp has been using it for years with that same speaker.

SLO

Comment

It doesn't matter that it is a PV speaker, your spider could come loose on any speaker. Sure, why not give it a try, and a layer or two of masking tape ought to work as a centering shim.

I wouldn't trust rubber cement either. If you can find speaker cement from someone, that would be the stuff. Try Martin SOund, Madisound, or even PArts Express. I use GC 10-302 "Radio-TV Service Cement." That is the amber color stuff with the brush in the lid sticking down. You want something that holds and does NOT set instantly - you want to be able to stick it and still position it a little. Then set it aside overnight to set and dry.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey Enzo,
          Thanks for the info as well as you other folks out there too.

Enzo, I looked at the metal frame and it looks oxidized under the spider but the spider still looks ok, no rot.
          Anyway since I can remove the magnet should I try to shim the voice coil from the inside or the outside?

One of the parts place recommended since it was a peavey scorpion to use two part epoxy. Some one else said a glue that looks like elmers glue.

Elmers? that can't be right???

I guess I can very carefully scrape the oxidation with a small thin exacto blade to get the oxidation off. Man, this is a new one for me....

I should make the seller from Ebay pay for the repair as the said the amp was in good working condition. Oh well, never buy off ebay

Slobrain

Comment

If you want the seller to pay, you should order a new basket. Otherwise you are telling him to pay for your own labor, which ought to make him look at you the way you are looking at him now.

Are you sure what you are seeing is not just a lack of silver paint?

You need a strong glue that will adhere to fabric and metal. If nothing else, email customer service at PV and ask what glue they recommend.

Do a little searching on the topic of speaker reconing.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              If you want the seller to pay, you should order a new basket. Otherwise you are telling him to pay for your own labor, which ought to make him look at you the way you are looking at him now.
              Hey Enzo,
              Well I talked to a local speaker repair place today and they qouted me a charge of $71.00 to reglue these but said they could not gauranty if they will be usable after gluing them. I also found a guy on Ebay selling new PV baskets for around $52.00 each .
              Reason I thought about trying to repair them myseld was I figured the seller probably wouldn't pay anything on the fix for this I was trying to get a grasp on what I'm up against.
              I wouldn't have charged the guy if I would have fixed them but maybe I'll see if he will split the difference and I'll get 2 new baskets and be done with it.

I really didn't expect to get an amp needing 2 speakers but I guess when Ebaying thats what happens...

Thanks for all the info though.

SLO

Comment

I did use Gorilla glue once to do a recone,it worked okay but you have to use it very sparingly as it expands.Super glue will likely dry to fast,like Enzo pointed out,you want to be able to adjust some before it dries.You seem to have adequate experience with alligning the coil,so why not give it a shot?Why pay a guy to do it if he is telling you it might not work?You can do that yourself.I have never pulled one of these apart,but if you screw it up I assume you could then buy the new basket,right?

Comment

Hey Stokes,
                  Gorilla glue worked so thats good to know. I really don't have any backgroud on fixing speakers only theory as I thought it wouldn't be that hard to do but more a real pain to deal with, especially when the wife is around. LOL

The seller emailed me so hopefully I can see what we can agree on and maybe 'll split the difference with him on two new baskets. If not then back to the drawing board. It suprised me this fellow emailed back. Most the time a person gets stuck with a bad item from Ebay and that's that.

I once bought a Kramer guitar from ebay some years back and the seller said it was in perfect shape. I got it and it was a mess. I emailed the this fellow and he snuffed me off so I chalked it up as an experience ya know.

Its funny but the speaker repair guy said that after they recone or repair speakers they scope them for any problems. I always thought you get a speaker reconed the correct way and they work.

SLO

Comment

I have only done 2 recones,just to try it.The first one I used a 2 part epoxy which was a pain,the Gorilla seems to be holding and the speaker has been working fine in an amp I built for one of my sons for 2 years,it was an old 15"Jensen Concert series.If the guy is willing to split the cost,thats great,but in the meantime you could try the repair anyway,just for the experience,ya know?The main thing is keeping that VC lined up,since the cone,VC and spider are already together and the speaker was already "lined up" at one time,I would think you have a good chance at lining it up.Just tape it temporarily and move the cone in and out,if it seems like you arent getting any rub,mark the position of the spider by tracing a circle around the circumference and glue it in and cross your fingers.Your idea of using the masking tape to give the VC the right clearance would be a good idea.I used six of those plastic inserts from a dress shirt collar and it lined up perfect.Good luck.

Comment

And you might look into just ordering baskets from Peavey direct. $52 sounds about like their list price. FActory new in the box with whatever warranty they include.

CEDist shows 12" scorpion baskets for $35.95 though I don't spot them in AES with a quick glance.

Comment

Working...
                      X