Matching impedence of Marshall Valvestate head to a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching impedence of Marshall Valvestate head to a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab

I'm OHMS law dumb but i want to make sure I don't ruin my amp or cabinet.

I need to run a Marshall Valvestate into a Mesa Boogie Stiletto cab.

the Marshall head has two OHMS inputs and it says "must be not less than 4 ohms" above both of them (see pic)

The stiletto cab has 4 inputs on the back.
    The one in the top LEFT corner says 4 OHMS (split for stereo)
    The one in the top RIGHt corner just says "OUT"
    The one in the bottom LEFT corner says 4 OHMS (OR BIAMP)
    The one in the bottom RIGHT says IN (8 ohms).
    (see pics)

What one input on the head should be put into what input on the cabinet?
    Might be a dumb question but I really dont want to destroy by amp or cabinet.
    Attached Files

You can use either of the speaker outputs on the amp, and the 8 ohm input on the cabinet.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

I had been using the 4 ohm (bottom left) input on the cabinet but it still sounds fine now that I'm using the 8 ohm. Is it possible that I caused some damage? What are the other outputs for?

Comment

The reason I suggested using the 8 ohm jack is that I assumed you'd want to use all four speakers; when you plug in to either of the 4 ohm jacks, you're only using two of the speakers (that's what the "split for stereo or biamp" thing means). The amp is rated for a minimum load of 4 ohms, and you were giving it a 4 ohm load by plugging in to one of the 4 ohm jacks, so there's no problem there unless the amp puts out more than the 140 watt combined rating of the two speakers. The "output" jack is probably wired in parallel with the 8 ohm input; you'd use that to connect a second cabinet, as an alternative to using the other output on the amp.
        -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Thank you for all your very helpful feedback. Would it then be possible to use a stereo panner, specifically the GIG FX CHOPPER PEDAL to pan back and forth between speakers on this cab itself?

Comment

No, because your amp is only mono.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Besides, that panner works at pedal pr preamp signal levels, not at speaker power levels.
              If you plug speakers to its outputs, besides possibly damaging the unit , you will not here sound through them or at most a mosquito buzz level (not kidding).
              The right way to use it is to drive 2 100W into 4 ohms power amps (maybe the one you alresdy have plus an external one) and each of them drives 1/2 box.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

And another besides......panning speakers that are a foot and a half apart won't do much anyway......
                The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
                X