Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.R.T DST-830 SS / Tube analog /digital troubleshoot / repair

Hi ,

I picked up a faulty ART Dst-830 , mainly for the speaker box , but thought it might be possible to repair the amp. The preamp is has a 12ax7 running a low voltage , mixed with a cs4218 digital cmos to a 130watt Dan Pearce Designed poweramp.

The signal from the analog section of the preamp , ie from the fx send is ok with no faults . After that it it is distorted, static , low in volume. I placed a cable between the fx send and return and thought that i had fixed the issue was fixed but after awhile it happened again.Taping the case above the fx loop appears to stop it some times but less than half the time

The other thing is the whole case seems to buzz and hum quite alot, it in a way that doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway it might be the fx return jack , i could replace that ... it might be the fx pad -10 , or +4 db, it could be an issue with the cmos chip or the voltage to that part of the circuit, or perhaps a fault in the poweramp .

Where is the best place to start troubleshooting ?

Attached is the signal path that printed on the top of the rack.

The person i bought it off , had the schematics , but said he wasn't going to try to find all the dry joints,

If may be a dry joint but i suspect something else , at least can any one point me in the right direction?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by walkman; 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM.

Try loosening the effect return jack nut and run the signal through the unit again. Wiggle the loosened jack while in play and see what effect that has on the output signal. If the effect is dramatic, I'd suspect a failed solder connection or intermittent contacts on the jack. Either way, probably best to just replace that jack.

Comment

Seems like the problem might have been with the pcb being slightly out of shape or bad sold joint somewhere. Anyway I've experimented and put old laptop keyboard between the lid of the case and the pcb so it pushes down firmly on the pcb.

Looks like it could be a fix , but i will have to put it back in the combo and see if it will be reliable with in the confines of a vibrating speaker box

Comment

Seemed to work for a little while but today when i upped the volume a bit after moving the amp the went back in to the meltdown static that was happening before

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I decided to look at it again and did the following.

Carefully lifted the chips out of their holders and re-seated them to ensure a good contact ( a trick learnt from fixing old PC with removable bios chips).

Sanding the inside of the chassis where the pcb boards were contacting the chassis for grounding ( I hadn't noticed before that they appeared a bit tarnished).

If it was a grounding issue then i suspect that fitting the ol laptop keyboard between the chassis top and the upper pcb, helped by forcing the contact between chassis and the pcb , but obviously this was unreliable.)

So if you pick up one of these with the same issue give it a go , they sound quite good and can be the power amp for a tube preamp etc

Comment

Hi guys,

could someone reupload the schematics? That would by very nice! I really need them, cause my one broke down.

Greets

Timo

Comment

Hi Timo

here you go

Art DST 830.pdf

Comment

Thanks alot!

Comment

Working...
                X