Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom 150SC pops when turned off and on

I just got a black plexi Kustom 150SC with 2x12's
    I can not make out the model on the tag. It seems not to be stamped.
    It was made in the USA
    The serial is very clear it is 71186. It sounds great. The trem-vib and reverb sound real good. It has a 2 prong power cord with out a ground. The power switch has a center off and right and left. The pop is pretty loud. Should I put in a new cord with ground?
    And power supply caps? Any idea of the year by the serial ?
    thanks
    Jess Rogers

Yes, you should replace the cord with a 3-wire, getting rid of the chassis-to-neutral cap on the power switch. That alone may take care of the pop.
    -Erik
    Euthymia Electronics
    Alameda, CA USA
    Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

Thank you. I thought you would say that. The metal face 150 I have doesn't pop. I put a 3 wire cord and new caps in it as soon as I got It. The SC has more background noise also. It may be caused by the extra effects. I will post how it works out.
      I now have 3 kustoms.

Comment

Be aware that MANY MANY amps pop when you turn them off, though not all do. It is generally not considered a problem, not something to be "fixed."
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This pop is coming on and off. It is the loudest I have heard with all my amp. I am going to change the 2 wire out with a 3 and remove the cap to the ground lift. I looked a long time for one of these amps I want to make it sound and work as good as I can . Can you give me any idea by the serial the build year.
          thanks alot
          Jess

Comment

Personally I never care what year something was made, I just fix them. But if you do, so be it. Look for date codes on the parts. If you see a number on the volume control like 1376924, the 137 means CTS made it and 6924 means the control was made in the 24th week of 1969 Often larger parts have date codes - transformers, caps, speakers, large resistors. So the same formula, if you see 7106, that means the 6th week of 1971. When you know when most of the parts were made, you have a good idea when the amp was assembled.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X