Failed Deluxe Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Deluxe Reverb

I'm new to amp repair. My Deluxe Reverb started making loud burping noises several times a second which I was able to halt by turning down all levels. Trying to bring up one channel slowly reveals very weak power. The silverface amp seems to have all original components except for some tube changes. As I look towards overhaul, can I test voltages with the speaker unplugged or must it be plugged in whenever power is applied?

Any advice on Kendrick's $70 DVD on repairing Fender amps?

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/mtrboat.htm

Comment

It is best to keep something plugged into the speaker out,either the spkr or a dummy load.It sounds like you have a low frequency oscillation and turning the amp on with no load would be the same as putting a signal thru it with no load,no good for your OT.The link Max gave you is exactly what I would check first,it is not uncommon for caps in an amp this age to need to be changed,just normal maintenance.I am not familiar with the Kendrick Video you mention but have his books,and have spoken to him many times and he is very informative and knowledgeable.As for your problem I think Max hit the nail on the head,time for a re-cap.

Comment

Thankfully i hit the nail on the head , otherwise my fingers don't like it! I have broken bones in my hands due to hammer blows

Comment

7025 --> 12ax7

Okay, thanks. I placed an order with Mouser for all new electrolytics.

Also, I had two bad 7025 tubes. I have some spare 12AX7s. They're an okay substitute, right?

Comment

They should be!

Comment

Working...
            X