No announcement yet.

Peavey Classic 50 lead channel volume drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At risk of avoiding your question... what is the current (punn not intended) problem with this amp? Where are we at?

Comment

I replaced R61 and R62 and it works better, but still there is something wrong. Reverb stopped working and it still becomes unstable at high volume. My main problem I think is as follows:
      • knowing where i am looking in the schemo - what is "downstream"
      • i'm not sure how to proceed with testing

I totally buy the hypothesis that it is the 27v stuff that is malfunctioning, but how to isolate one component in that area to find the problem?

Comment

Tinkered some more this AM - replaced the dual opamp and the transistor near the reverb control. Seems to work better each time I replace a semiconductor device, so my new theory is that they all got fried. Here's what I think is left to replace: CR11¹, CR12, CR2, CR4, CR3.

Does that sound like a solid plan? What else could I do? It still sounds rough at full volume - like kinda splatty and oscillate-y, but not quite motorboating like it did before. BTW reverb started working when I replaced the dual opamp and it got more stable when I replaced the transistor. Same problem with the sound, just much less severe.

¹btw why are diodes labeled "CR"?

Comment

Working...
        X