'88 Princeton Chorus Ground Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 Princeton Chorus Ground Hum

I recently got a used 1988 Princeton Chorus solid-state black-knob amp. The amp has two inputs and the first input jack was all... jacked up. So I ordered a new Fender stereo jack like this one:
    Fender Stereo Amp Jack

I used my solder sucker tool and removed the old jack, inserted the new 9-pin jack into the 9 holdes and soldered it into place, being careful not to make cold-solder joints. I also resoldered the four big grey block-like components (I think they are resistors?) because I had read they sometime come loose on the amps and cause problems. I put everything back in and everything on the amp works as it should (clean, reverb, overdrive, limiter, chorus) but the amp has a hum that is just annoying enough to make the amp unusable. I have a mexican strat with vintage style pickups (not the Noiseless variety), but I have previously changed the electronics to a Toneshaper circuit as well as fully foiled the body cavities.

I have isolated the problem to the Princeton Chorus amp, because I plug the same guitar directly into my Deluxe Reverb Reissue amp using the same guitar cord and there is no hum, and no change whether I touch the strings/bridge or not. But then I plug the same guitar and cord directly into my Princeton Chorus and it gives me a hum that goes away when I firmly tough the stings/bridge.

Both amps are plugged into the same power strip. I know this amp is very old, so do I need to replace any of the capacitors, and if so which ones? It sounds like a grounding hum, so is there something else I need to do with the new input to connect grounds or something? I used the metal washer and nut that came with the Fender input, just like all the other jacks on the same amp use.

Thanks for any ideas and experience you have.
    Last edited by flsurflover; 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM. Reason: added detail

Check the filter caps, see if their leads are broken or their solder connections may need re-flowing--I've read several reports of these caps not being glued down well so they were prone to breaking. These caps are now over 20 years old so replacing them wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

Thanks for the input. That's easy enough to try, so I'll resolder them, try it, and then replace them if it persists. Just hope I remember to let them discharge other than through my body. ;-)

If anyone knows of additional things for me to check please let me know.

Comment

Resoldering didn't help. Hum stops if I touch metal on the guitar or the amp chassis. Also tried my les paul and it hums too, so it does seem like 60 cycle hum is not being filtered out. The caps don't look comprosised on top, but they are 22 years old. My local store doesn't carry 4700uf 35V caps, only 25V, so I'll have to order them.

If there are other things I can check or try while I wait for them to be shipped please let me know.

Comment

Did the amplifier hum before you replaced the input jack?
          If it did not, then you may have a shoddy connection on the PCB.
          Did you try input #2?
          Did the parts supplier recommend the jack that you purchased?
          (is it the correct item?)

Comment

Did you check the AC Cord ground connection?

Comment

Working...
            X