Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I have a need for a 32-3 Regulated DC Power Supply as a casual amp hobbyist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I have a need for a 32-3 Regulated DC Power Supply as a casual amp hobbyist?

They were throwing one away at work so I scooped it up. It seems to work like normal, they probably just got new ones.

I'm not sure if I could ever really use one. Do you guys come across the need to use one for general troubleshooting of typical tube amp type stuff?
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

It depends upon what you want to do in this area of electronics.

I have a bench power supply that I use for powering up all sorts of things as they come up. If I get an unusual pedal for repair that requires an 18vdc adapter I'll use it, rather than trying to find one.

Sometimes I get a PC board from someone to work on and I'll power it up with the power supply to replace the amps power supply.

If you are only planning on working on high voltage tube circuits, then it will rarely be needed.

Comment

ok thanks. maybe I'll just ebay it then.
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Got an amp that hums and you can't figure it out? Use the supply to power the preamp heaters to eliminate that as a possible source. Want to try out a channel switching scheme? Use the supply to power everything before you learn how hard it is to use the 6.3V heater supply to make 5V. You won't use it every day, but some day you'll wish you had it.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

It can be handy for the aforementioned purposes, and other things, such as a universal DC adaptor (you can buy a cigarette-lighter adaptor with all of the tips, then snip and strip the ends to attach it). Can't hurt to have around. I also use it for checking zener diodes. For anything more serious, you'd need a triple power supply, for powering up stuff like console modules, etc.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Mostly I use mine for holding old relays closed on jukebox amps. If I don't know the voltage of the relay I can just dial upwards till it throws. Probably used it for other stuff too, just forgot what, and I'm definitely glad of it.

Comment

Here's my favorite use for a benchtop supply: Let's say you've got a piece of audio gear (mixer, processor, etc.)that is exhibiting a short across one of the 15 volt supplies. They're usually using a 78XX regulator which will just shutdown and make it near impossible to isolate the problem. Replace the onboard supply with the bench supply. Set the voltage accordingly and set the current limiting to 1 amp to start (approximately what the 78XX is capable of). Power up, and then gradually increase the current the supply is allowed to provide until you see the smoke. At this point, you can shut it down and replace the faulty component (usually a .1uf bypass cap) or have a bit of fun and smoke it 'til it's open. Just be careful and don't let it heat up the pcb too much, or catch fire!

Comment

hmm, maybe I'll keep it after all. thanks for the replies.
                ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Working...
                X