Noise on a Panocordian Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise on a Panocordian Amp

Hey I have a real abor#$$ of an amp that I'm working on. It's made by Panocordian. Can't seem to find any info on amps from them just accordions. The problem is that it has a hum that when I touch the chassis it goes away but I take my finger off and it comes back. There is also a weird buzz that lasts for 15 sec. ( I timed it) then goes away then comes back. The buzz is very low level. This amp has been run over something awful. When I use the volume pot hum/buzz will change volume also when I pull the #2 12AX7 the buzz is gone. I have swapped 12AX7 w/ a new one to no avail. Pull #1 12AX7 and the buzz/hum is still there. Not looking to make this thing perfect would probable like to figure out the chassis issue most . The buzz I think my friend could live with because when the hum is gone the buzz is hardly audible even when turned all the way up. Any takers.

Just for starters, do you have a 3 wire power cord with a chassis ground? Is the hum still there with the input grounded? What kind of rectifer does it have? How old are the filter caps?

Comment

Replacing the cord was the 1st thing I did. The filter caps are old. 1 is a mulit section can Sprague 4737 (couldn't find any info on it) and the another Sprague Atom that is newer. The rec. is a 5Y3 . The rec is putting out 380v. The plate voltage on the tube is 125v. Sorry my scope is down and I can't check the cap outputs w/ a scope. If I touch the either of the input jacks I get a loud buzz.

Comment

No scope? Set your meter to AC volts and measure again those DC voltages. This will reveal the ripple voltage on that B+.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

2 volts.

Comment

When I think of buzz I don't think ripple. I don't doubt that all the filters should be replaced but I'm thinking a leaky film cap or a ground fault between V1 and the input to V2.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

For a schematic, search Panaramic and Sano or google accordian tube amps. I had a Panaramic on my bench earlier this year and had a hell of a time finding a schematic for a while. Then I saw that the foot pedal said "Sano" on it. Most of the schematics are similar. It didn't end up being a very loud amp for the size, but the reverb and vibrato sounded really good.

Comment

Yeah I actually spelled it wrong it's Pancordion Corp. They make accordians but I have seen no amp info. I saw one for sale. This amp is actually a screamer. The vibrato doesn't work. By the way Chuck the film caps are letting some DC thru. This thing was run over like I said, and it is very unstable between V1 and V2. You just put your hand over that area and noise noise noise. I definitely look act those suggestion Gibsonman. A schematic would be helpful but there is alot of "mods" and I use that term loosely. I think I see about 4 solder joints that look original that rest are someone's bastardization of solder joints. I should post a pic for your enjoyment. Give me a few moments and I will.

Comment

Here are some pics. Again caution it ain't pretty.
                  Attached Files

Comment

WooHoo. I'm RUNNIN' for a chance to work on that thing... Woah. Sorry dude.

Definitely replace leaky coupling caps or any other faulty components you detect before further evaluation. Otherwise it's all guess work.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yeah I will be takin' my sweet time.

Comment

Working...
                      X