No announcement yet.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Died Suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some info.........I've had my Hot Rod Deluxe since 1997, my transformer's fuseable link went bad after we played a gig with a bad generator. My studio tech took the transformer apart, repaired the piece and it's been working fine since this happened in 2000. My backup Hot Rod Deluxe also bought in 1997 never had any problems and still kicks butt!!!!! Both are made in USA!!!!!
    Hope you get yours working again!!!!!

Comment

My amp is repaired now. I had replaced the power supply transformer and slowly took the power up using a variac. We checked the caps and diodes, all seemed Ok in circuit. Once the input voltage was increased to near 110 volts, we saw the current on the variac start to rise - the plates of the 6L6's started to glow. What had happened was the bias pot was on a dead spot - a quick spray with some cleaner and adjustment of the bias pot and the bias voltage was back to normal and voila! A simple fix this time around.

Comment

That's interesting and something I'll have to add to my bag of tricks. I'm working on a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 that was redplating one side and the problem turned out to be a dead spot in the master volume control, which is a post phase inversion job. A new MV control is on order.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          I've repaired transformers like this many times. (Usually for a PT with no easy replacement) If you're careful, use heat shrink, insulator paper, and even clear lacquer fingernail polish it isn't a big deal. Just make sure it's well fused and there is no leakage to the core. If you do it for a customer you better have him sign a release.
          We've addressed this before. This is just plain BAD practice. Any trnasformer that has been overheated to the point of opening the thermal link is likely to be internally compromised by the temperature elevation and amount of it was heated. Magnet wire varnish can melt or burn, causing an ALMOST shorted condition... an accident waiting to happen. And if it causes a fire or other capital damage, I don't care what the customer signed, you can be sued. If you are a DIY'er and burn your house down, you might potential be liable for the damage, if an insurance investigation fleshes this out.

Am I overly cautious? Probably. I always like to err on the side of safety. If you use your head, you'll get to keep it.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
          X