Odd voltages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd voltages

The voltages in red were measured with the load and bias listed on the schematic.

The resistors check within tolerances, what else might cause the variation from the schematic?

Should I adjust the 12k-3w and the 33k to make it work?
    Attached Files

It doesn't work now?

Most old Fender schematics had a warning printed on them that voltages are approximate and may vary 20%. Your voltages are not off all that far. And mainly just B+4. If you apply Ohm's Law, I think the currents will appear pretty normal.

When you have 220k plate load resistors and less than a milliamp plate currents, it doesn;t take a lot of tube variation to cause a large voltage change.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It works better then ever with the changes so far, however, I don't want to modify the power section until I know it's working properly. I normally bias at .3v (21w) bringing the 6l6 plates up even more so I was thinking of reducing the 12k 3w before discovering the discrepancies.

Do you mean determine the amperage across the plate resistors with I=E/R?

The specs for 12ax7 state Plate Current 9mA-.75mA and if I understand correctly both 6l6's 116mA with no input.

Comment

No, I mean if there is a 220k plate resistor with 123v on one end and 260v on the other, how much current must be flowing in that resistor? And does that make sense? (In your case, a little under 1ma is not unusual at all for a 12AX7) And if there are three 12AX7 triodes drawing from B+4, does that seem to agree with the V drop across the B+4 resistor?

I see nothing wrong, so what do you see as a problem here?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That's what I thought (.62mA) but I did not see the specs are for 250v plate so the min would change to .37mA at 123v (I assume)

True it is within 20% but 50v out of spec seems like a lot to a novice.

Comment

Working...
          X