Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Peavey Renown amp question for Enzo

Hey Enzo,
    I wanted to ask you about this Peavey renown I bought a while back.

When ever I turn on the power switch the amp makes a boomp sound.
    I cannot remember if the old renown I had many years back did this?

This amp works well but that odd boomp sound make me wonder what it is coming from?

BTW, I wound up putting celestions speakers in this amp and it sounds pretty good but I also run a boss graffic EQ in the effects loop to fatten up the sound and it makes the amp sound darn good, especially when I use the clean channel and run a distortion pedal thru it. keeps up with my Marshall and fender tube amps. And friggen loud too.

amazing a 26 year old SS amp still going strong. Must have the energizer bunny in it.

SLO

Those will run forever.

MAny many many SS amps thump at turn on. Nothing to worry about. The pop will never be any larger than the loudest signal the amp produces. The amplitude is limited by the ppower supply voltage.

Why does it happen? SO many places for it to happen, but the power amp is representative. The output centers between the power rails. SInce they are symmetric + and - voltages, the output sits at zero - the midway point between them. That is once the amp is on and stable.

But when the amp is powering up, any difference in charging rates between the rails will be reflected in the center point between them moving away from zero. SO the speaker then sees a voltage that swings one way then back the other - a thump.

Not the power amp? FIne. Op amps are little circuits that run off +/-15vDC. The output of each tends to sit at the mid point between those rails - zero. When the power supplies are charging, any little difference...
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo,
      I found the noise coming from the preamp so yes, those little opamps making the thumpppp.
      I couldn't remember if the old renown I had did this but it probably did.

Memory failing, now, how to fix memory??????? Got any Ginko

LOL

SLO

Comment

Working...
      X