Screen Grid Resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Grid Resistors

Is it possible, likely or common that a bad tube (shorted internally) causing the failure of a screen grid resistor, could result in high voltage B+ to be fed back through the circuit afffecting the low voltage outputs for heater filaments and rectifier heater?

It could be possible to have such a condition, but would represent a catastrophic failure, given the mechanical nature of how a tetrode/pentode is built.. It's more likely an over current from the screen grid caused by the misalignment of the screen wires with respect from the control grid..

-g

Comment

Problem occurred when trying old junk 6v6 tubes. A bit of smoke and then loss of output. Now crazy high (540volts) readings on 5y3 heater pins. 18 volts found on filament heater pins.

Comment

The 5Y3's heater is also its cathode, which is the main high voltage supply for the amp. So of course there will be 540V on it.

Some amps put a DC bias onto the 6.3V heater supply, to reduce hum. So 18V from a heater pin to ground might be normal.

Others have two little 100 ohm resistors to reference the heater string to ground, and these can be burnt out by a really bad tube short that somehow puts the plate voltage on the heater.

Fix all burnt resistors, put in some known good tubes and see if it works.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
          Is it possible, likely or common that a bad tube (shorted internally) causing the failure of a screen grid resistor, could result in high voltage B+ to be fed back through the circuit afffecting the low voltage outputs for heater filaments and rectifier heater?
          It is entirely possible for a tube to short and dump a bunch of current onto the heater supply. In common amps with a pair of resistors or a pot providing a ground reference for the heater supply the Rs or pot will be burned.

The heater for the rectifier is a completely different winding and is connected to the B+ by design.
          My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
          X