Troubleshooting Blown Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Blown Fuse

The amp is a crate gx-212+. Solid state amp. I got the amp from someone who got it from another guy who said it just kept blowing fuses. Sure enough it does. I traced a problem down to a bad tip142 as well as a shorted tip147. I ended up replacing 2 tip142's and 2 tip147's. I also noticed a bad rectifier bridge and replaced that. And while I was in there I replaced the filter caps. Measured ~50 volts from the PT as indicated on the schematic. Everything looked promising but as soon as I turned it on it had about a 1 second buzz then the fuse blew.

So now I am a bit lost what I should troubleshoot next. I have attached a schematic below. I appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Attached Files

1 second buzz.
    You still have a short.
    First, disconnect the speaker.
    Retest the output stage, paying close attention to the ballast resistors (R72-75) & any resistors attached to the TIP output transistors.
    Check Q10/11 & D10 for shorts.
    No mention was made of the 16 volt supply.
    Check the zener diodes +16 & -16.
    Build a "Lamp Limiter"

Comment

Thank you sir, I will check after work tonight. Appreciate the response.

Comment

Q-10 &11 Drivers would be high suspect and not sure the 16 +/- rails pull enough to blow the fuse but guess it's possible. I would highly think the short is in the 40 volt supply so check the main rectifiers very good for diode drops and make sure they aren't shorted. I would even consider pulling the TIP147'S & 142''s and verifying it will come up without blowing a fuse and those +/- 40 voltages present on the collector pads.
        KB

Comment

And sadly, don't assume that the new parts that you installed are still good, because they may have been damaged on the power up.

Comment

Another thought.
            The TIP transistors.
            Is (was) there an insulator between the heat sink & the transistor.
            I do not reuse them ( don't ask )
            I just install new ones.
            With a small smear of silicone grease.

Comment

Never test a solid state amp in questionable condition with a speaker load, or any load until you verify it is stable without a load, it will say a lot of blown up speakers and fuses.
              Borrow a current metered variac if you can, it will save a lot of further damage by allowing testing at lower mains voltages and monitoring current draw.

Comment

Jazz P Bass, there is an insulator (mica?) between the heat sink and transistor. I reused the old ones, I didn't think it mattered?

Comment

Amp Kat, I checked Q10 last night(haven't checked Q11 yet) and it reads .579 one way on both the Base-emitter(one way) and the Base-collector(one way) and doesn't read from collector to emitter(either way). It checks out ok on these diode tests.
                  I will check Q11 later.

Jazz P Bass, to accurately check a zener voltage needs to be applied correct to check the reverse voltage on it?

52 bill, I'm hoping they didn't get damaged, I will check the TIPs later also.

Some surge or something definitely happened to damage the power transistors and blow the main rectifier bridge.

Comment

Working...
                  X