Peavey classic 50/50 240V wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey classic 50/50 240V wiring

Hi, I got to replace a 110V Peavey Classic 50/50 power transformer with an European 240V # 705-29327 type.What other parts have to be changed for safe 240V operation?
    The PT's primary wires are:
    black - common
    white - 220v
    gray - 240v
    so the PT wiring is not a problem.
    It's clear that I need a 240V fan and a 3,15A mains fuse, but what about that cap across the primaries?Unfortunately I've got no schemo for the 240V version.
    Any help much appreciated,
    Zouto

as long as the secondaries are both the same voltage as for the 110V transformer, wire black & grey to the power switch, fit a new power cord, and off you go. Make sure you earth the mains power cord to the chassis.
    If there is a power light on the primary circuit, you will need to change that to a 240V type.
    Any mains fuse will need to be changed to a lower value. Easy to use a fuse of half the amps rating of the 110VAC fuse
    Attached Files

Comment

Wrong schematic, he has a Classic 50-50, not the Classic 50.

Usually to convert, aside from the transformer, eliminate the little groud polarity switch and the cap it switches. I think there is also a cap across the primary winding, elimiate that also. I don;t recall, is there a fan on that amp? Might need some adjustment.

And couldn;t hurt to ask customer service at Peavey.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for help.I removed the ground switch wiring, replaced mains plug, fan and mains fuse(now 3,15A) and removed the cap across the primary winding.Peavey's customer service did not answer my request for a 240V schematic up to now.
        What other parts have to be changed for safe 240V operation?

Comment

I don't know, maybe none. That is why I suggested asking the factory. Try gford@peavey.com, that is Gene Ford, a helpful support guy.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Meanwhile the amp is working fine on 240V, I did not change anything else. Next step would be to add two bias controls, one for each channel, but it seems to be rather tricky.

Comment

Working...
            X